Monday, October 4, 2010

Misrosoft Outlook Won't Stay Open After iTunes Update

A couple of days ago I updated iTunes because the software told me there was an update.   While iTunes updated nicely, as soon as the update was finished, I noticed that Microsoft Outlook had closed.  Each time I tried to reopen it, Outlook immediately closed again. 

In this instance, it was pretty clear the problem was caused by the recent iTunes update.  Uninstalling iTunes and Quicktime from the computer did NOT correct the problem.  And of course, my computer would not let me do a System Restore either.

After much research, I was able to find the simple fix on a forum.  I had to uninstall "Apple Mobile Support" from the Control Panel.  Once that program was history, I was able to open Microsoft Outlook again. 

After fixing the problem, I remembered that this had happened once before.  I don't know what it is about Mobile Support that conflicts with Microsoft Outlook, but there is a connection.

To uninstall Apple Mobile Support, follow the instructions below:
  1. Open your CONTROL PANEL 
  2. Double-left click the icon that reads "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" (WinXP) or "PROGRAM FEATURES" (Vista, Win7)
  3. Find Apple Mobile Support in the list, then REMOVE it. 
Once this program has been removed, you should be able to open Microsoft Outlook again. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sheryl. I had exactly the same problem, after an iTunes update, and this fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting this up. I also had this problem though I didn't initially realise it was the Apple Update that caused it.

    ReplyDelete